Senior Database Developer (Information Systems Specialist 7)
To protect and serve Oregon's consumers and workers while supporting a positive business climate.
The Department of Consumer and Business Services (DCBS) is a progressive business regulatory state agency dedicated to the mission of protecting and serving Oregon's consumers and workers while supporting a positive business climate. The department administers state laws and rules governing workers' compensation, occupational safety and health, financial institutions, insurance companies and building codes. The department has consumer protection and education programs, offices, and ombudsmen to help consumers, injured workers, and businesses.
This position is with the Information Technology and Research (IT&R) Section of the Central Services Division. IT&R provides a broad range of specialized technical services in the areas of information systems, data analysis/dissemination, and computer/telecommunication services for a large, diverse agency. The staff support the collection, processing, analysis, and dissemination of statewide and regional data about workers' compensation, accident prevention, insurance, financial institutions, corporate securities, building codes, and senior health insurance benefits. The section supports a number of critical systems to meet the regulatory requirements for each program and interact with other state and federal agencies.
This position is represented by the Service Employees International Union (SEIU).
What’s in it for you:
- Rewarding work in a productive and creative environment
- Colleagues who are passionate about public service
- Work/life balance, 10 paid holidays a year, and a competitive benefits package
- Advancement and learning opportunities that will help grow your career with the State of Oregon
- Live, work, and play in Salem, Oregon
Here’s what you will do:
As a Senior Database Developer, your duties will include:
- Provide technical expertise and support in using database technology for database applications, interfaces, data transfer mechanisms and business intelligence platforms critical to DCBS.
- Develop tests, improves and maintains new/existing databases.
- Guide the different users on effective data retrieval. Owns tracks and resolves data related incidents and or requests.
- Initiate, plan and execute IT projects of small and medium size and complexity under the guidance and direction of manager, PMO manager or project manager.
Here’s what you need to qualify:
- Six (6) years of information systems experience information systems experience in in using database technology for database applications, interfaces, data transfer mechanisms and business intelligence platforms; OR
- An Associate's degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related field, OR completion of a two (2) year accredited vocational training program in information technology or related field; AND four (4) years of information systems experience in in using database technology for database applications, interfaces, data transfer mechanisms and business intelligence platforms; OR
- A Bachelor's degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, or related field AND two (2) years of information systems experience in in using database technology for database applications, interfaces, data transfer mechanisms and business intelligence platforms; OR
- A Master's degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, or related field
- A profound understanding of the importance of teamwork.
- Good communication skills: Written, oral, presentation and nonverbal.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Expertise on DDL/DML/DCL queries, query tuning & optimization.
- Ability to create complex stored procedures, packages, views, functions and triggers
- Ability to lead efforts and mentor junior staff on database modeling, design, and SQL/T-SQL or PL-SQL programming.
- In-depth understanding of data management (e.g. permissions, recovery, security and monitoring)
- Please ensure that you clearly demonstrate in your application materials that you meet the qualifications listed and that you follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may impact your rating or result in you not being considered for the job.
For additional information you may contact us by e-mail at DCBS.Recruiting@oregon.gov or by phone at 503-378-3200.
EEO & Affirmative Action Statements
DCBS is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer committed to workforce diversity, equity, and inclusion.