Plans Examiner, Commercial & Residential
Wage / Salary: 56700 / yr
This recruitment will be used to fill two positions.
To protect and serve Oregon's consumers and workers while supporting a positive business climate.
The Department of Consumer and Business Services (DCBS) is a progressive business regulatory state agency dedicated to the mission of protecting and serving Oregon's consumers and workers while supporting a positive business climate. The department administers state laws and rules governing workers' compensation, occupational safety and health, financial institutions, insurance companies and building codes. The department has consumer protection and education programs, offices, and ombudsmen to help consumers, injured workers, and businesses.
These positions are with the Building Codes Division (BCD). BCD adopts and enforces the statewide building code relating to the construction, reconstruction, alteration and repair of buildings and other structures and the installation of mechanical, plumbing, and electrical devices and equipment.
These positions are represented by the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees union (AFSCME).
What’s in it for you:
- Rewarding work in a productive and creative environment
- Colleagues who are passionate about public service
- Work/life balance, 10 paid holidays a year, and a competitive benefits package
- Advancement and learning opportunities that will help grow your career with the State of Oregon
- Live, work, and play in Salem, Oregon
Here’s what you will do:
As a Plans Examiner, Commercial & Residential, you will:
- Examine construction plans, blueprints, architectural drawings, designs, and other documents, involving structural analysis of large and small commercial and industrial structures, and one & two family dwellings for compliance with complex building, mechanical, plumbing, and fire protection codes
- Provide code interpretation guidance and council on highly technical engineering issues and technology and advice and problem-solving assistance on technical or problematic issues to division staff and inspectors, building departments, fire departments, architects, engineers, other state agencies and public throughout the State
Here’s what you need to qualify:
The goal of this recruitment is to fill these positions at the Plans Examiner, Commercial & Residential level. However, we encourage candidates who meet the Plans Examiner, Residential qualifications to apply as we may consider underfilling the positions for up to 36 months. Underfill candidates will be paid at the Plans Examiner, Residential level salary range of $4,099 - $5,993 monthly and must meet the Plans Examiner, Commercial & Residential qualifications within 36 months of hire.
Plans Examiner, Commercial & Residential Minimum Qualifications:
1. Possession of all of the following certifications:
- Oregon Inspector Certification (OIC)
- Oregon Residential Plans Examiner Certification
- Oregon A-Level Structural Plans Examiner Certification
- Oregon Fire and Life-Safety Plans Examiner Certification
- Oregon A-Level Mechanical Inspection Certification
2. AND ONE OF THE FOLLOWING:
- Oregon registration as an architect or professional engineer; OR
- Two years combination of experience and/or education that is in the construction related field.
- Successful candidates must obtain the required certifications within 60 days of hire.
Note: Current International Code Council (ICC) Building Plans Examiner and ICC Fire Plans Examiner Certifications may be accepted at time of recruitment, but must be converted within 30 days.
Plans Examiner, Residential Underfill Minimum Qualifications:
- Possession of an Oregon Inspector Certification (OIC); OR
- Possession of an Oregon Residential Plans Examiner Certification, OR International Code Council (ICC) R3 Residential Plans Examiner certification.
Note: Successful candidates must obtain the required certifications within 60 days of hire.
- Ability to communicate technical requirements/procedures to non-technical customers
- Effective verbal and written communication skills, occasionally with irate or upset individuals
- Please ensure that you clearly demonstrate in your application materials that you meet the qualifications listed and that you follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may impact your rating or result in you not being considered for the job.
For additional information you may contact us by e-mail at DCBS.Recruiting@oregon.gov or by phone at 503-378-3200.
EEO & Affirmative Action Statements
DCBS is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer committed to workforce diversity, equity, and inclusion.