Administrator - Division of Financial Regulation
Wage / Salary: 91032 / yr
To protect and serve Oregon's consumers and workers while supporting a positive business climate.
The Department of Consumer and Business Services (DCBS) does more than regulate businesses in the State of Oregon. We are dedicated to the mission of protecting and serving Oregonians by ensuring workplaces and buildings are safer, people have access to the healthcare they need, individuals can trust providers of their financial services, and workers get the help needed after an on-the-job injury, all while providing a positive business climate. Come join us and make a difference in the lives of Oregonians!
DCBS looks for people who are always ready to create innovative ways to accomplish our mission. Our culture thrives by embracing diversity – together we are different!
This position leads DCBS’ Division of Financial Regulation (DFR). The approximately 175 division employees work continuously to serve Oregon by protecting Oregonians' access to fair products and services through education, regulation, and consumer assistance. The division is responsible for regulating and supervising the financial service sector in Oregon, which includes insurance companies; state chartered banks, trust companies, and credit unions; securities; and around a dozen non-depository institutions such as payday lenders, mortgage lenders, and mortgage loan servicers. DFR assists consumers and handles complaints about mortgage lenders, loan originators, finance service professionals, and most lines of insurance. It is also responsible for running the state’s prescription drug transparency program and the ACA-authorized Oregon Reinsurance Program.
This is an executive service position and is not represented by a union.
What’s in it for you:
- Rewarding work in a productive and creative environment
- Colleagues who are passionate about public service
- Work/life balance, 10 paid holidays a year, and a competitive benefits package
- Advancement and learning opportunities that will help grow your career with the State of Oregon
- Live, work, and play in Salem, Oregon
Here’s what you will do:
You will serve as the Administrator of the Division of Financial Regulation, setting the overall direction, policy, division priorities, and strategic change in order to carry out the administration of the division’s regulatory laws and rules. You will provide direction to bring about strategic change that encourages the widest range of stable, innovative and competitive financial and insurance services, products, and information for Oregonians that are safe, sound and fraud-free. You will be responsible for continuously improving the regulation of financial and insurance institutions for the protection of consumers and maintaining an effective system that promotes and encourages innovation and healthy competition. You will be responsible for establishing division vision, mission and goals; engaging with stakeholders (e.g. consumers, legislators, regulated entities, trade groups); representing the division in public across all program areas; and for ensuring the division operates in a transparent and open manner both internally and externally.
Here’s what you need to qualify:
Six years of management experience in a public or private organization which included responsibility for each of the following:
- Development of program rules and policies
- Development of long- and short-range (strategic) goals and plans
- Program evaluation
- Budget preparation
- Demonstrated successful leadership, including an understanding of how to effectively address needs, delegate, give and receive feedback and produce exceptional outcomes
- Be strategically oriented, able to evaluate and access the impact of strategic issues across complex, diversified divisional units, while serving the needs of the consumer and regulated businesses
- Experience with negotiation, mediation, and conflict resolution, which includes excellent oral, written, presentation and interpersonal communication skills
- Experience in the development, implementation and evaluation of strategic organizational goals, plans and policies in an ever-changing environment
- Experience developing regulatory policy initiatives and managing regulatory programs, preferably in one or more of the subject matter areas that the division regulates
- Outstanding customer focus oriented with the ability to work and build consensus with diverse groups, legislators, other management team members, and stakeholders with competing interests, which will require sensitivity to others and their interests in a continually changing environment
- Thorough understanding and successful implementation of employee engagement and development
- Demonstrated success with stakeholder engagement
Please ensure that you clearly demonstrate in your application materials that you meet the qualifications listed and that you follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may impact your rating or result in you not being considered for the job.
If you need any additional information or would like to speak with an agency representative regarding the challenges and unique skills required for this job, please call or email Robert J. Newton, Deputy Director of Employee Services, Department of Consumer and Business Services. We encourage you to contact Robert directly at (503) 947-7011 or via email: Robert.J.Newton@oregon.gov.
EEO & Affirmative Action Statements
DCBS is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer committed to workforce diversity, equity, and inclusion.