Occupational Safety Consultant (Occupational Safety Specialist 3)
Compensation: $56748 per year
To protect and serve Oregon's consumers and workers while supporting a positive business climate.
The Department of Consumer and Business Services (DCBS) is a progressive business regulatory state agency dedicated to the mission of protecting and serving Oregon's consumers and workers while supporting a positive business climate. The department administers state laws and rules governing workers' compensation, occupational safety and health, financial institutions, insurance companies and building codes. The department has consumer protection and education programs, offices, and ombudsmen to help consumers, injured workers, and businesses.
This position is with the Oregon Occupational Safety and Health Division (Oregon OSHA). Oregon OSHA is responsible for assuring safe and healthful working conditions for Oregon workers through promulgation and enforcement of Occupational Safety and Health Regulations, and by providing education and consultation to employees and employers.
This position is represented by the Service Employees International Union (SEIU).
What’s in it for you:
- Rewarding work in a productive and creative environment
- Colleagues who are passionate about public service
- Work/life balance, 10 paid holidays a year, and a competitive benefits package
- Advancement and learning opportunities that will help grow your career with the State of Oregon
- Live, work, and play in Pendleton, Oregon
Here’s what you will do:
As an Occupational Safety Consultant, you will perform technical work involving the application of safety engineering principles for the prevention and control of occupational safety hazards, and work with employers, managers, employer associations and employees to develop voluntary methods to provide safe and healthful workplaces.
Here’s what you need to qualify:
- One year of safety experience with Federal or State occupational safety and health organization performing duties comparable to an Oregon OSHA Occupational Safety Specialist 2 level; OR
- A Bachelor's degree in industrial safety or occupational safety and health and two years of professional level occupational safety and health program experience; OR
- An Associate's degree in industrial safety or occupational safety and health and four years of industrial safety program experience (at least two years must be professional level occupational safety and health program experience); OR
- Six years of industrial safety program experience (at least two years must be professional level occupational safety and health program experience).
- In-depth safety analysis skills
- Outstanding professional communication skills, including verbal and written skills
- Strong problem solving skills, including assisting other staff with solving problems
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with diverse groups
- Skill making decisions independently
- Preference may be given to candidates who are fluent in Spanish
Please ensure that you clearly demonstrate in your application materials that you meet the qualifications listed and that you follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may impact your rating or result in you not being considered for the job.
For additional information you may contact us by e-mail at DCBS.Recruiting@oregon.gov or by phone at 503-378-3200.
EEO & Affirmative Action Statements
DCBS is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer committed to workforce diversity, equity, and inclusion.