Hispanic Communities Outreach and Education Coordinator
Wage / Salary: 53292 / yr
To protect and serve Oregon's consumers and workers while supporting a positive business climate.
The Department of Consumer and Business Services (DCBS) is a progressive business regulatory state agency dedicated to the mission of protecting and serving Oregon's consumers and workers while supporting a positive business climate. The department administers state laws and rules governing workers' compensation, occupational safety and health, financial institutions, insurance companies and building codes. The department has consumer protection and education programs, offices, and ombudsmen to help consumers, injured workers, and businesses.
This position is with the Oregon Health Insurance Marketplace. The division is charged with managing the state’s Health Insurance Exchange program which provides a marketplace for Oregon’s qualified health plans to sell insurance to Oregonians in the individual market. The division is responsible for managing the relationship with the federal technology vendor, establishing partnerships with state and federal entities that collaborate around this work and work within the state and national insurance regulatory model to provide ACA compliant and competitive products to Oregon families.
This position is represented by the Service Employees International Union (SEIU).
What’s in it for you:
- Rewarding work in a productive and creative environment
- Colleagues who are passionate about public service
- Work/life balance, 10 paid holidays a year, and a competitive benefits package
- Advancement and learning opportunities that will help grow your career with the State of Oregon
- Live, work, and play in Salem, Oregon
Here’s what you will do:
As the Hispanic Communities Outreach and Education Coordinator, you will support Hispanic communities across the state. Duties include:
- Representing the Health Insurance Exchange outreach and education unit, which includes outreach and education to Oregonians and supporting the customer service hotline.
- Providing and continuing to refine Qualified Health Plan information and application assistance training to Community Partners and other stakeholders around the state.
- Analyzing complex consumer issues presented by members of the insurance buying public by gathering information and facts from the consumer, insurance agents, and insurance company personnel and Oregon Medicaid.
- Working directly with insurance consumers, community advocates and insurance companies to mediate and resolve problems.
- Advising insurers and agents on requirements and any changes in regards to the Health Insurance Exchange.
- Conducting outreach to targeted communities and/or constituencies to develop new or support existing partnerships.
- Work closely with the Oregon Health Authority Regional Outreach Coordinators to ensure alignment with healthcare options for all Oregonians.
Here’s what you need to qualify:
- A Bachelor's Degree in Business or Public Administration, Behavioral or Social Sciences, or a degree related to the agency program that demonstrates the capacity for the knowledge and skills; and two years experience coordinating or administering a program; OR
- Any combination of experience or education equivalent to five years of experience coordinating or administering a program
- Spanish bilingual skills are mandatory for this position. The successful candidate must be able to speak, read, write, and interpret Spanish fluently, and will earn 5% more than the salary listed on this announcement.
- Background and knowledge in: outreach, education and marketing- in regards to health insurance
- Strong basic knowledge of healthcare, specifically the affordable care act and Medicare, and basic knowledge of other state and federal programs including the Division of Financial Regulation, Oregon Health Authority, Federal Health Insurance Marketplace, Department of Justice, Bureau of Labor and Industries, U.S. Department of Labor Pension and Welfare Benefits Administration, as well as the various programs in the Health Insurance Marketplace.
- Superior problem solving and communication skills, and the ability to effectively communicate with individuals having diverse education and background under stressful conditions.
- Must exercise superior common sense and good judgment in strained circumstances.
- Must have a strong technical insurance background.
- Please ensure that you clearly demonstrate in your application materials that you meet the qualifications listed and that you follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may impact your rating or result in you not being considered for the job.
EEO & Affirmative Action Statements
DCBS is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer committed to workforce diversity, equity, and inclusion.