Volunteer Water Quality Technician
Company: Columbia Riverkeeper
Volunteer Water Quality Technician (Hood River)
Location: Hood River, OR
Status: Volunteer Technician
Hours & Duration: 5 to 10 hours per month from May through September 2020. The work schedule is flexible.
Help promote healthy river contact and inform the public on safe places to swim. Riverkeeper seeks a responsible volunteer to serve as our E.coli volunteer technician from May to September (5-10 hours/month) in Hood River, OR. Technicians will become experts in E.coli monitoring techniques and methods and meet a network of volunteers and professionals working to protect the Columbia River. Prior experience with E.coli monitoring is not required. Attention to detail and ability to work independently is a must. Experience gained through this position will greatly benefit persons looking to further a career in water resources. Technicians will receive free entry to Riverkeeper-sponsored events.
- Maintain E.coli lab equipment at Riverkeeper’s Hood River office
- Collect and process weekly water samples from Columbia River sites
- Follow a strict sample collection protocol
- Enter data and manage Riverkeeper’s E. coli database
- Post up-to-date results on Riverkeeper’s Swim Guide app
- Help coordinate teams of volunteers monitoring the river
- Ability to swim and cognizant of safety precautions when wading in the river
- Work independently and with limited oversight
- Strong communication skills
- Detail-oriented regarding equipment, field protocols, and data entry
- Passion for rivers and clean water
- Represent Riverkeeper in a friendly and professional manner
- Valid driver’s license
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, particularly Microsoft Excel
Send an email to Lorri Epstein, Lorri@columbiariverkeeper.org. Please include the position title and location in the email subject line. The email should include a single pdf attachment that contains a cover letter, resume, and a list of three references. Please label your single pdf file in the following format: YOUR LAST NAME, YOUR FIRST NAME.
EEO & Affirmative Action Statements
Columbia Riverkeeper is committed to creating a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation.