The Dalles and Columbia Gorge Community College partner to provide Blue Zones Week, April 9th-12th
CGCC and The Dalles Blue Zones Project are excited to announce Blue Zones Week, happening April 9-12. Blue Zones Project-The Dalles is a health and well-being effort working to make the healthy choice the easy choice for people in The Dalles. Columbia Gorge Community College desires to be a champion of well-being for the benefit of our students, faculty and staff, and our communities. Thus, we have teamed up to offer activities and events to help develop healthier habits during Blue Zones Week. For Blue Zones week we will be hosting workshops, cooking demonstrations, and opportunities for movement and connection!
Don’t know about Blue Zones yet? There will be many opportunities to learn about this project throughout Blue Zones week. In general, people living in the original Blue Zones areas across the globe have maintained a healthy lifestyle for generations. In these regions, people are reaching the late 90s and 100 years old at astonishing rates – in some cases 10x higher than in the US. The project is inspired by these longest-lived people. It’s about helping people live better, longer right here in The Dalles.
In addition to learning more about Blue Zones and the project in The Dalles, some event highlights for the week include:
- A two-day, healthy entrée “taste-off” contest hosted by CGCC’s Class Act Café - sample four healthy dishes, vote on your favorites, and the winner may be placed on the café’s regular menu rotation
- Plant-based, healthy eating cooking demonstrations hosted by the OSU Extension and their Food Hero program
- A Walking Moai Launch – where individuals will gather to walk and find out more about joining a regular walking Moai that fits with their schedule and needs
- Purpose Workshops, presented in both English and Spanish, designed to help participants discover or re-discover gifts and talents, and improve well-being by living their purpose
- Faculty, staff and/or student-specific events and activities to improve well-being at school and work
To include so many wonderful events and also serve our Hood River Campus community, please note that while the main Blue Zones week occurs the 9th-12th primarily on The Dalles Campus, additional opportunities are available the week prior and on the Hood River Campus. So, make sure to check the calendar and CGCC website for a complete listing of opportunities available!