Course Number: RD 90
Transcript Title: Transformative Reading
Created: September 1, 2012
Updated: September 16, 2015
Total Credits: 3
Lecture Hours: 30
Lecture / Lab Hours: 0
Lab Hours: 0
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: A-F (default), P-NP, audit
Repeats available for credit: 0
Placement into RD 90
Improves reading skills and strategies, including identifying purpose, improving reading accuracy, developing vocabulary, self-monitoring and improving text analysis. Placement into RD 90. Audit available.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Read regularly and identify, clarify, and/ or prepare for a complex reading purpose.
- Read accurately, including text composed of dense or long, complex sentences and paragraphs.
- Use strategies easily to pronounce and/or understand the meanings of unfamiliar words, including those found in a complex or dense text.
- Choose from a range of sophisticated strategies and apply them to self-monitor and/or enhance text comprehension.
- Locate, analyze and critique stated and unstated information, ideas/arguments, and/or themes in a complex or dense functional, informational, or persuasive text.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Assessment strategies may include: written summaries, responses; Reading logs/ journals/ portfolios; Presentations; Quizzes; Graded homework; Small group projects; Discussion; Oral reading; Conferences with instructor; Exams.
Course Activities and Design
- Book reports
- Vocabulary quizzes
- Comprehension tests
- Reading strategy projects
- Decoding analysis
- Personal reflection
- Reading aloud
- Written responses
- In-class debates
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Identifying reading purpose
- Word decoding and pronunciation
- Accurate reading of complex texts
- Comprehension strategies
- Text analysis and criticism
- Managing implied or unstated information