Beginning Algebra I
Course Number: MTH 60
Transcript Title: Beginning Algebra I
Created: September 1, 2012
Updated: August 27, 2019
Total Credits: 4
Lecture Hours: 30
Lecture / Lab Hours: 20
Lab Hours: 0
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: A-F (default), P-NP, audit
Repeats available for credit: 0
MTH 20 or equivalent placement test scores
Covers the use of applications, formulas, and reasoning skills to write, manipulate, interpret, solve and graph linear equations and systems. Introduces concepts numerically, graphically, and symbolically. Develops skills to communicate results in oral and written form. Prerequisites: MTH 20 or equivalent placement test scores.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Use one variable to model and solve linear problems.
- Use two variables to model and solve linear problems.
- Communicate results mathematically and in writing.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Instructors will use a variety of the following measures:
- Homework, quizzes, group activities, problem sets
- Exams, which may include: proctored, take-home, open-book, group, cumulative
- Projects, portfolios, and field work - individual or group
Course Activities and Design
The determination of teaching strategies used in the delivery of outcomes is generally left to the discretion of the instructor. Here are some strategies that you might consider when designing your course: lecture, small group/forum discussion, flipped classroom, dyads, oral presentation, role play, simulation scenarios, group projects, service learning projects, hands-on lab, peer review/workshops, cooperative learning (jigsaw, fishbowl), inquiry based instruction, differentiated instruction (learning centers), graphic organizers, etc.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Variables and Real Numbers
- Real Numbers
- Arithmetic Using Real (signed) Numbers
- Order of Operations
- Linear Equations and Inequalities in One Variable
- Addition/Multiplication Property of Equality
- Solving Linear Equations
- Formulas and Percents
- Solving Linear Inequalities
- Problem Solving
- Problem Solving
- Ratio and Proportion
- Problem Solving in Geometry
- Linear Equations and Inequalities in Two Variables
- Graphing Linear Equations in Two Variables
- Equations of Lines
- Linear Inequalities in Two Variables
- Systems of Linear Equations and Inequalities
- Solving Systems of Linear Equations
- Problem Solving Using Systems of Equations
- Systems of Linear Inequalities
Word problems are to be answered using complete sentences and include appropriate units.