Infant/Toddler Caregiving: Social-Emotional Growth
Course Number: ECE 175C
Transcript Title: I/Tod Care-Soc/Emotional
Created: September 1, 2012
Updated: August 15, 2019
Total Credits: 1
Lecture Hours: 10
Lecture / Lab Hours: 0
Lab Hours: 0
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: A-F (default), P-NP, audit
Repeats available for credit: 0
Covers social-emotional growth and socialization including: development, temperament, responsible care, guidance and discipline, and supporting the needs of infants and toddlers. Audit available.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Recognize the development of attachment and typical, temperamental characteristics.
- Recognize responsive, respectful and relationship-based infant toddler care.
- Demonstrate understanding of the importance of respecting cultural and familiar practices in infant toddler care.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Assessment may include: participation in class and small group activities, written observations, assignments, reflective journal
Course Activities and Design
The determination of teaching strategies used in the delivery of outcomes is generally left to the discretion of the instructor. Here are some strategies that you might consider when designing your course: lecture, small group/forum discussion, flipped classroom, dyads, oral presentation, role play, simulation scenarios, group projects, service learning projects, hands-on lab, peer review/workshops, cooperative learning (jigsaw, fishbowl), inquiry based instruction, differentiated instruction (learning centers), graphic organizers, etc.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Course content includes:
- Infant and toddler attachment (attachment development, separation).
- Temperamental styles.
- The importance of responsive caregiving.
- Nurturing the social and emotional development of infants and toddlers.
- Guidance techniques.
This class is the third in a four-course series on Infant and Toddler Caregiving.