Intro to Office Software
- Course Number:
- CAS 133
- Transcript Title:
- Intro to Office Software
- Aug 17, 2022
- Aug 17, 2022
- Total Credits:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture / Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement:
- Satisfies General Education requirement:
- Grading Options
- A-F, P/NP, Audit
- Default Grading Options
- Repeats available for credit:
Introduces the basic features of word processing, spreadsheets, and presentations. Also introduces computer operating system basics, and file management, Internet and email. Recommended: RD 115, WR 115 and CAS 121 or keyboarding by touch. Audit available.
Upon successful completion of this course, student will be able to:
- Use school/workplace software to create documents, create spreadsheets, and develop presentations.
- Know basic use of computer hardware, software, networks, and the Internet in personal lives or workplace use.
- Understand and apply specialized vocabulary associated with computers and school/workplace software.
- Apply critical thinking skills to basic consumer understanding of computer and digital camera purchases.
- Evaluate the reliability of web sites.
Suggested Outcome Assessment Strategies
Assessment may include: Projects which are textbook based as well as original work which could include flyers/ brochures, spreadsheets, presentations. Journals, and class/forum discussions may also be included along with tests or open ended final projects.
Course Activities and Design
The determination of teaching strategies used in the delivery of outcomes is generally left to the discretion of the instructor. Here are some strategies that you might consider when designing your course: lecture, small group/forum discussion, flipped classroom, dyads, oral presentation, role play, simulation scenarios, group projects, service learning projects, hands-on lab, peer review/workshops, cooperative learning (jigsaw, fishbowl), inquiry based instruction, differentiated instruction (learning centers), graphic organizers, etc.
Terminology and Vocabulary
- Parts of computer system
- Software: Applications vs Operating system
Operating System Concepts
- Windows/Mac navigation
- Multi-task applications
- File-management (reinforce and emphasize throughout the length of the course)
Basic Text Processing Concepts
- Business letters with header
- How to format a research paper with sources
Basic Spreadsheet Concepts
- Creating a spreadsheet
- Auto sum, math operations, min, max, and average
- Create charts/graphs
Basic Presentation Concepts
- Basic presentation with images/clipart/backgrounds/themes
- Adding transitions/timings
Basic Internet Skills
Basic Communication Skills
Basic Consumer Skills
- Buying a computer
- Buying a digital camera