Basic Internet Skills
Course Number: CAS 104
Transcript Title: Basic Internet Skills
Created: September 1, 2013
Updated: August 13, 2019
Total Credits: 1
Lecture Hours: 0
Lecture / Lab Hours: 20
Lab Hours: 0
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: P-NP (default), audit
Repeats available for credit: 0
Introduces web terminology, web browsers, search techniques, and communication tools. Audit available.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Research and use new internet vocabulary.
- Effectively use a search engine to find information on the web.
- Evaluate and use internet communication tools.
- Research, download and effectively use web browser.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Students will be issued a Pass/No Pass grade. Assessments may include:
- Journal and/or reports based on research
- Communication using the Internet
- Tests or quizzes
Course Activities and Design
The determination of teaching strategies used in the delivery of outcomes is generally left to the discretion of the instructor. Here are some strategies that you might consider when designing your course: lecture, small group/forum discussion, flipped classroom, dyads, oral presentation, role play, simulation scenarios, group projects, service learning projects, hands-on lab, peer review/workshops, cooperative learning (jigsaw, fishbowl), inquiry based instruction, differentiated instruction (learning centers), graphic organizers, etc.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Internet terminology
- Web browser
- Brief historical overview of the Internet
- Researching efficient use of search engines
- Using Communication Tools
- Overview of E-commerce / Shopping Carts