Intro to Office Software
Course Number: CAS 133
Transcript Title: Intro to Office Software
Created: September 1, 2012
Updated: August 3, 2015
Total Credits: 4
Lecture Hours: 30
Lecture / Lab Hours: 20
Lab Hours: 0
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: A-F (default), P-NP, audit
Repeats available for credit: 0
Introduces the basic features of word processing, spreadsheets, and presentations. Also introduces computer operating system basics, and file management, Internet and email. Recommended: RD 115, WR 115 and CAS 121 or keyboarding by touch. Audit available.
Upon successful completion of this course, student will be able to:
- Use school/workplace software to create documents, create spreadsheets, and develop presentations.
- Know basic use of computer hardware, software, networks, and the Internet in personal lives or workplace use.
- Understand and apply specialized vocabulary associated with computers and school/workplace software.
- Apply critical thinking skills to basic consumer understanding of computer and digital camera purchases.
- Evaluate the reliability of web sites.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Assessment may include: Projects which are textbook based as well as original work which could include flyers/ brochures, spreadsheets, presentations. Journals, and class/forum discussions may also be included along with tests or open ended final projects.
Course Activities and Design
Activities may include: readings and videos, class discussions/forums, reflection writings, open ended project assignments, and textbook based projects.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Terminology and Vocabulary
- Parts of computer system
- Software: Applications vs Operating system
Operating System Concepts
- Windows/Mac navigation
- Multi-task applications
- File-management (reinforce and emphasize throughout the length of the course)
Basic Text Processing Concepts
- Business letters with header
- How to format a research paper with sources
Basic Spreadsheet Concepts
- Creating a spreadsheet
- Auto sum, math operations, min, max, and average
- Create charts/graphs
Basic Presentation Concepts
- Basic presentation with images/clipart/backgrounds/themes
- Adding transitions/timings
Basic Internet Skills
Basic Communication Skills
Basic Consumer Skills
- Buying a computer
- Buying a digital camera