Coronavirus information for students
Fall term dates: September 28-December 11
Is CGCC open?
Yes, the college is open, and fall classes will be conducted, with modifications:
- CGCC offices will be open to in-person visits on a limited basis, beginning September 21st, 2020. See the scheduled hours below for details. Students may always contact the department they need by email or phone, in addition to in-person visits.
- A wide selection of virtually-conducted community education classes are scheduled for fall term. Registration is open.
- Most credit classes for fall term will be conducted remotely. For more information, see the Online Student Hub
What are the important dates for fall term?
- Fall term begins: September 28th
- Add/drop with refund deadline: October 2nd
- Financial aid disbursement (stipend checks mailed out): October 9th. Please note: Checks MUST be mailed this term. If your student account does not include a valid mailing address, you must resolve that issue before checks are mailed to avoid delays.
- Last day to withdraw: November 20th
- Fall term ends: December 11th
- Instruction carried out remotely until: further notice
What should I do if I feel sick?
If you are feeling sick and suspect you may have COVID-19, DO NOT come to campus or attend work. Read and use the symptom checker. Contact your healthcare provider before visiting their office or the emergency room in person. Phone numbers for local hospitals are:
- Mid-Columbia Medical Center (The Dalles) (541) 296-1111
- Providence Hood River Memorial (541) 386-3911
- Klickitat Valley Health Family Medicine (Goldendale/Klickitat County) (509) 773-4017
- Skyline Hospital (White Salmon): (509) 493-1101
How can I contact the office I need at CGCC, and when are they open for in-person visits?
During the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, Student Services encourages all students to continue to access our services remotely. We are available for phone and Zoom meetings. For students who need to submit documents, drop boxes will be available on The Dalles campus in front of Building 3, and on the Hood River campus outside the main entrance. For students who need to meet with us in person, we will have access beginning Monday, September 21. We encourage students to make appointments to ensure that we will be available to assist you. For students who are on campus and do not have a scheduled appointment, we will attempt to assist you or schedule an appointment for you as soon as possible. We will utilize specific signage to help us to manage traffic in limited areas, and keep our campuses safe for students and employees.
See the chart at cgcc.edu/reopen for current hours.
To contact us, call or email:
- The Dalles | (541) 506-6011, option 2
- Hood River | (541) 308-8211
If you need an ok to register, or need to speak to an academic advisor, you may click the "Meet with an advisor" button in the sidebar, or contact them directly. Students are assigned to advisors based on last name. Find your advisor below and send them a message now:
- Last name begins with A - G | Ryan Brusco | firstname.lastname@example.org | (541) 506-6066
- Last name begins with H - M | Kelly Sullivan | email@example.com | (541) 506-6022
- Last name begins with N - U | Mike Taphouse | firstname.lastname@example.org | (541) 506-6026
- Last name begins with V - Z | Shayna Dahl | email@example.com | (541) 506-6046
The financial aid office would prefer students email their questions or concerns (from official school email address only, please). For in-person hours, see the chart at cgcc.edu/reopen
- firstname.lastname@example.org | phone (541) 506-6021 | fax (877) 368-6370
Business Office (payments, questions regarding your bill)
For in-person hours, see the chart at cgcc.edu/reopen
For in-person open hours, see the chart at cgcc.edu/reopen. Or, contact the bookstore by phone, email, or order online
- email@example.com | (541) 506-6061
- Order online
- Financial aid can be used to purchase books beginning on September 21st, 2020 after 1 pm.
- Orders can be shipped to customer's home address, or can be brought out to customers waiting in their car in the parking lot outside the bookstore.
- Book buyback information will be posted at a later date.
For in-person open hours, see the chart at cgcc.edu/reopen.
- The Library and Learning Commons will be open limited hours, and is still operating as a location for student and faculty support. Reference questions, technology help, journal requests, and help with coursework can also be obtained via phone and email.
The Library and Learning Commons will help students access technology by providing students with various options to help them complete their course work. We will work with Student Services to determine which students are the most in need of digital support. If you feel your financial or geographic reality may hinder your ability to take classes remotely please speak directly with your advisor.
Technology and learning materials will be available for pick up on the loading dock of Building 1 once we have communicated with students over the phone. All check out of physical items must be scheduled in advance. To access our staff please call (541) 506-6081 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Are campus events and activities cancelled?
- On-campus events are cancelled until further notice
- Governor Brown has issued several Executive Orders and other information regarding the coronavirus/COVID-19 pandemic. More information is available on the State of Oregon's pandemic response page.
What if I need food or other community resources?
Resources for students and the community are available from many sources.
What if I don't have a computer or technology to take online classes for fall term?
- CGCC will provide technology solutions to students who cannot access online content through several methods:
- The college has a limited number of computers available for checkout from the library. Students may call or email regarding check-out of digital devices. Staff will deliver the checked-out items to the loading dock of Building 1. Call the library BEFORE you come to check availability (541) 506-6081
- Students who do not have access to the necessary technology to participate in online classes can sign up for in-person computer lab time in Building 3, 3.103 on The Dalles Campus. We are currently planning on having the computer lab open from 10 am to 2 pm Monday through Thursday. It will be limited to 4 students at a time. To reserve time to use the computer lab, contact Dylan McManus by email at email@example.com. Please note that CGCC is adhering to the social distancing standards that have been set by local and state governments and that this access is ONLY available to students who have no other way to participate in online classes.
- CGCC's distance education coordinator will be available to assist students.
- In addition, Student Services is available in a virtual environment. Students will be able to access services from 8 am to 6 pm via phone and email.
What if I am signed up for a class that can't be taught online?
- Some classes will not be available in a remote format. The college is working with faculty to determine which classes are conducive to remote instruction. Those classes that are not will employ other methods, such as social distancing, when available.
How does remote learning work?
- Online: Courses that are conducted entirely online.
- Zoom: Courses that would normally be offered as hybrid (a mixture of online and face-to-face instruction) or face-to-face will be conducted via Zoom. Other online and remote learning tools may also be used.
What if I have never taken a distance-learning, online, or Zoom class before?
Distance learning might be new for many of you. We are here to support you and help you navigate a virtual classroom. CGCC will provide the support and assistance you need to be successful.
- CGCC's online content delivery system is called Moodle. It is accessed through MyCGCC.
- If you have never taken an online class from CGCC before, you can learn how by going to the college'sOnline/Hybrid Orientation.
- A CGCC staff member will be available for consultation soon, to assist students with technical challenges for online learning.
Is tutoring still available?
Yes. A full guide to tutoring resources is available on our Tutoring page.
- Science tutoring is available by emailing instructors. Check the list on the Tutoring page.
- Math tutoring will be available through Zoom. Monday & Wednesday from 12:00 to 5:00 pm, Tuesday & Thursday from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm, and Friday from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm. The Online Math Lab us also available.
- The Writing Desk Online is available to students. Check the Online Writing Desk page
How can I contact my instructor?
- Instructor email addresses can be found on the faculty directory. Please email from your official school email only. Staff and faculty are prohibited by federal law from responding to emails from general email addresses about school-related issues.
If I drop or withdraw from a class, how will it affect my financial aid?
CGCC is taking every precaution and making every accommodation possible to ensure students can safely finish the term without interruption. The college response includes shifting to online/remote learning options where feasible, and implementing social distancing measures. We encourage students to speak to their instructor or academic advisor before withdrawing from any classes. If you do decide to drop or withdraw from classes for any reason, contact a CGCC team member FIRST to determine how your decision may impact your financial aid.
This page was updated September 18, 2020 at 10:52 am. If you believe any of the information on this page is out of date, email firstname.lastname@example.org