How to Choose a Program or Major
Choosing a program and declaring a major is an important decision that may affect your career direction and contribute to your work and life satisfaction.
Read the CGCC Catalog.
Review the programs, degree and certificates offered at Columbia Gorge Community College (CGCC).
Take a variety of courses to discover your strengths and interests.
Certain courses from disciplines such as Arts and Letters, Social Science, Science and Mathematics can be used for almost any degree and are a great way to explore different career paths. Consult with an academic advisor for recommendations.
Get involved in Student Life.
It is through relationships with others that we often learn most about ourselves. Becoming an active member of a college club or a society will not only allow you build connections with others but will also help you develop new skills, test yourself in various roles, validate your career interest and open your mind to new ideas. Learn more about student life at CGCC.
Visit the Career and Transfer Center.
- Take career assessments to match your interests, skills and personality to various occupations.
- Discuss career options and build a career plan with a Career Counselor.
- Try out career ideas by practicing interview skills, building resume and writing a cover letter.
- Learn about job shadowing, internship and volunteer opportunities.
- Receive assistance in finding a job, networking, and make social media connections.
For many students, CGCC is a gateway to further education. Some complete prerequisite classes and transfer to specific career and technical program at other community colleges, others use CGCC credits to seek bachelor or more advanced degrees at 4-year colleges and universities.
Meet with an advisor to learn about programs at other community colleges or about transferring to a 4-year college or university.
Attend Career-related Events
Check the CGCC Calendar for career fairs, career information sessions and other career-related events.
Frequently Asked Questions
Will my CGCC credits transfer to other colleges or universities?
An advisor will help you to:
- Select possible transfer colleges, univerisities or training programs based on your career goals.
- Determine which courses you will need and choose courses that will be transferable.
- Research application and scholarship deadlines.