Distance Learning Quality Assessment
Assessment measures both the delivery and the design of online and hybrid classes.
Online/hybrid teaching expectations:
1. Provides and facilitates a venue for student questions.
2. Responds in a timely manner to questions regarding the course or learning materials: within a 48-hour period on weekdays/daily during the first week of the term.
3. Maintains active links to online resources within the course shell.
4. Evaluates and returns graded assignments in a timely manner and provides feedback.
5. Keeps a record of all graded activities in a secure, private, and accurate manner.
6. Faculty who teach online classes are required to have regular and substantive interaction (RSI) with students within the learning management system.
7. For online classes, provides RSI documentation as a hidden page within the course shell.
Delivery Assessment Process
The Distance Learning Quality Assessment Committee will meet each year to review online and hybrid classes.
Committee members will:
use the Distance Learning Classroom Observation Form to complete the reviews,
send completed reports to the instructor, and
be available for consultation and questions.
Instructors may request specific courses for review in advance of the assessment process.
Delivery Assessment Resources
- Regular and Substantive Interaction in Your Distance Learning Class
- Distance Learning Classroom Observation Form for Reviewers
- RSI Form for Online Instructors
- Delivering Online Classes - What Works Well
Before the first term course is offered Quality Matters (QM) standards will be used as a design tool in the development of distance learning classes. All distance learning classes will be evaluated using the Quality Matters standards by the Virtual Campus Coordinator before the class is delivered.
Instructors are encouraged to take Quality Matters training.
Each course will be evaluated every three years by a QM peer reviewer. The instructor may ask for a formal evaluation by a team of three faculty peer reviewers per QM review standards. A successful formal review results in a nationally publicized QM recognition of a quality course and use of the QM logo in the college schedule.
Design Assessment Process
Every fall term, three person panel teams will be organized for online or hybrid instructors who wish their course to be formally evaluated using QM procedures. In winter term, internal QM reviews will be conducted for instructors who are due for their three year course design review.
Design Assessment Resources
Distance Learning Quality Assessment Committee Members
|Paula Ascher||Virtual Campus Coordinatoremail@example.com||(541) 506-6035|
|Leslie Berry||Anthropology Instructorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Leigh Hancock||Writing Instructoremail@example.com|
|M. J. (Zip) Krummel||Psychology Instructorfirstname.lastname@example.org||(541) 308-8217|
|Stephen Shwiff||Dean of General Education, Business Administration and History Instructoremail@example.com||(541) 506-6045|
|Andrea Ware||Computer Applications/Office Systems Instructor / Writing & Literaturefirstname.lastname@example.org|