2015 Wind Challenge is a creative, hands-on program that fuels student interest in science, technology and wind energy.The event is organized in collaboration with Google and will be hosted at the Ft. Dalles Readiness Center (Directions) on May 2, 2015, 9:00 am – 4:00 pm.
Attend the event to:
- Explore the world of wind turbine technology as teams design and build wind turbines.
- Tour cutting edge renewable energy technology labs and learn about clean energy.
- Support teams competing for the 2015 Wind Challenge championship.
- Watch as experts in wind energy test the students’ models and determine the winner for 2015
- Enjoy a festive environment with food, music, students and science.
Science and Engineering Fair
In addition to the Wind Challenge Competition, there will be a STEM (Science, Technology Engineering, and Math) Fair with various opportunities for all ages to participate in STEM-related activities or learn more about STEM-related educational and career opportunities!
About the Wind Challenge Competition
Teams of three to six middle school and high school students will learn about wind turbine technology and design, and apply their new skills in an all-day competition to build, test, and present their wind turbine models to a group of judges.
There will be 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place prizes given to three high school teams and three middle school teams whose wind turbines have the strongest mechanical power, fastest speed for transferring the kinetic energy, and the most electrical power generated. There will also be a Spirit Award given to a team exhibiting the greatest enthusiasm and teamwork.
With between 35 and 40 talented teams participating (see the map below), it should be an interesting and challenging competition!
Registration for the 2015 Wind Challenge is now closed. We have a record breaking number of participating teams this year, and we are looking forward to the event. Thank you for joining the the 2015 Wind Challenge.
- Please sign the participation waiver and email the signed waivers to Loren Mason-Gere | email@example.com or bring them to the event.
- Please arrive to the event no later than 8:45 am (May 2nd, the CGCC's The Dalles Campus, Readiness Center). Check in starts at 8:15 am.
- Please email t-shirt sizes for your team(s) to Loren Mason-Gere | firstname.lastname@example.org.
Is Your School Coming? Check Who has Already Registered!
High School Teams
- Camas High School
- Columbia High School (3)
- Dufur High School
- Goldendale Homeschoolers (2)
- Heppner High School (2)
- Home School - The Wolves
- Hood River Valley High School (2)
- Klickitat High School
- Lyle High School
- Riverside High School
- South Wasco County
- The Dalles High School
- Wishram High School
Middle School Teams
- Corbett Middle School (4)
- Klickitat Middle School (3)
- Mill A School
- The Dalles Middle School (3)
- Wishram Middle School (2)
- Wy'East Middle School