New Tutor Training - The Dalles
Register: Complete the volunteer tutor form
Instructor: Instruction provided by an experienced trainer
About the Event
Prior to being matched with a learner, volunteers attend a one-day training led by an experienced trainer. The training is comfortably paced, interactive and fun. Breakfast foods are provided, bring a sack lunch.
Trainees learn and explore:
- Reasons why adult learners enter into literacy programs
- Some of the cultural differences and learning styles that may affect tutoring
- How to assess a learner’s needs and work together to set attainable goals
- Techniques for working with native English speakers and English as a Second Language students
- How to put all this together to create interesting and effective lesson plans
You must complete the volunteer tutor form before attending the new tutor training.