Online Identity and Privacy
"On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog."
Peter Steiner, The New Yorker, July 5, 1993
Now the Internet knows not only if you're a dog,
but also what breed and favorite brand of dogfood.
What Happens Online Doesn't Stay Online
Test Your Knowledge
How much do you know about data privacy?
- Take a 10-question privacy IQ quiz (StaySafeOnline.org)
You're Being Watched
Ever wonder why you start seeing the same ads all over the Internet? It's not a coincidence.
They're Making Money Off What You Share
In addition to tracking you, companies sell that information about you.
- The Data Brokers: Selling Your Personal Information (CBS News "60 Minutes")
Search Engines That Don't Track
Switch to a search engine that doesn't track you and sell your data
Terms of Service
Do you know what you just agreed to?
- Terms of Services; Didn't Read This site puts terms of services makes terms of services easily readable.
More Books, Articles, and Other Resources
- Big Data: A Revolution That Will Transform How We Live, Work, and Think by Viktor Mayer-Schönberger and Kenneth Cukier
- Choose Privacy Week: May 1 - 7 (American Library Association)
- Dragnet Nation : A Quest for Privacy, Security, and Freedom in a World of Relentless Surveillance by Julie Angwin
- The Filter Bubble: What the Internet is Hiding from You by Eli Pariser
- Online Privacy: Pictures, Videos, Breaking News (Huffington Post)
- What They Know (Wall Street Journal)