Course Number: WR 90
Transcript Title: Writing 90
Created: September 1, 2012
Updated: September 25, 2013
Total Credits: 3
Lecture Hours: 30
Lecture / Lab Hours: 0
Lab Hours: 0
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: A-F (default), P-NP, audit
Instruction includes sentence structure, paragraph and essay development, and written expression. Students can expect to increase working vocabulary and improve skills in basic communications. Prerequisite: Placement into WR 90 and RD 90. Audit available.
- Communicate in writing using a variety of sentence structures, paragraphs, and short forms that emphasize correct grammar, punctuation, coherence, and clarity.
- Demonstrate critical thinking in written responses to text.
- Recognize and utilize pre-writing steps for composing a good essay.
- Utilize basic word processing in writing.
- Demonstrate successful college student behaviors.
- Perform successfully in Writing 115.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Grammar and punctuation practice exercises
- Paragraph Development practice exercises
- Written critical response to reading
- Final typed essays
- The following additional measures are encouraged:
- Graded homework assignments
- Written group projects
- Written responses to outside activities
- A writing journal
- In-class activities and participation
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Grammar and punctuation usage in sentences
- Simple, complex, and compound sentences usage in paragraph development
- Appropriate use of support in fully developed essays
- Punctuation and capitalization
- Paragraph Development
- The Writing Process
- The Essay
- Critical Thinking Skills
- Word Processing