Fundamentals of Acting Techniques
Course Number: TA 142
Transcript Title: Fund of Acting Techniques
Created: September 1, 2012
Updated: December 19, 2014
Total Credits: 4
Lecture Hours: 40
Lecture / Lab Hours: 0
Lab Hours: 0
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: A-F (default), P-NP, audit
Acquire concentration and relaxation in approaching a role. Improve performance skills with focus on vocal and physical control. Scene study is used. Prerequisite: TA 141 and its prerequisite requirements. Audit available.
The student will:
- Choose and perform character role from dramatic literature and prepare it for performance with a partner.
- Perform scenes for the class as required by the course.
- Attend a live performance and critique it.
- Demonstrate understanding of the preparation of a role.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Assessment may include:
- Scene performance and critique
- Character biography
- In-class activities
- Quizzes over text
- Play critique
- Short assignment performances
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Appropriate use of relaxation and concentration.
- Analysis of script in preparation of a role.
- Application of theatre vocabulary.
- Critical analysis.
- Team work.
1.0 BASIC THEATRE VOCABULARY
1.1 Master stage directions
1.2 Evaluate performances with a supportive as well as critical eye
1.3 Determine basic character goals, obstacles, and tactics
1.4 Demonstrate basic blocking terminology
2.0 SCRIPT/CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT
1.1 Memorize assigned/chosen scenes
1.2 Develop blocking for scenes
1.3 Rehearse with partner in preparation for performance
1.4 Practice cold reading techniques
1.1 Portray a developed character
1.2 Use the voice with projection and articulation
1.3 Display blocking choices consistent with the script
1.4 Demonstrate the partnership aspects of a scene (give-and-take)
1.5 Accept criticism and praise
4.0 PHYSICAL AND VOCAL WORK
1.1 Demonstrate a physical and vocal warm-up routine
1.2 Apply projection and articulation techniques in a scene
1.3 Determine necessary vigorous physical activity and apply rehearsal techniques
1.1 Write character biographies as assigned
1.2 Write critical analysis of plays as assigned