Course Number: RD 90
Transcript Title: Reading 90
Created: September 1, 2012
Updated: September 25, 2013
Total Credits: 3
Lecture Hours: 30
Lecture / Lab Hours: 0
Lab Hours: 0
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: A-F (default), P-NP, audit
Placement into RD 90
Improves reading through work on vocabulary development, motor skills, comprehension and some reading rate improvement. Prerequisite: Placement into RD 90. Audit available.
- Find and articulate the main idea and major details in a variety of written text: textbooks, literature, newspapers, and magazines.
- Read critically and think critically, distinguishing fact from opinion and determining the author's purpose and bias.
- Use reading for pleasure, learning, and intellectual stimulation.
- Employ vocabulary development strategies.
- Adjust reading rate to the nature of the material.
- Exhibit successful college student behaviors.
- Perform successfully in Reading 115.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Group/Individual assessment may include any of the following:
- Conference with instructor
- Written summaries/responses
- Reading logs/journals/portfolios
- Presentations with rating criteria
- Take-home exams
- Graded homework
- Projects with rating criteria
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Themes, Concepts, Issues
- A strong reader understands organization:
- Topic/main ides/supporting ideas
- A strong reader commits to ongoing vocabulary development:
- Sight vocabulary
- A strong reader understands that critical reading and thinking are crucial:
- Author's purpose
- A strong reader reads for many purposes:
- Knowledge acquisition
- Intellectual stimulation
Competencies and Skills
- Use context
- Use dictionary
- Recognize roots and affixes
- Increase sight vocabulary
- Higher Order Thinking:
- Analyze a problem
- Solve a problem
- Draw reasonable inferences
- Integrate information and ideas
- Think holistically
- Distinguish fact from opinion
- Work and Career Preparation:
- Work productively with others
- Organize and use time effectively