Cooperative Education: Administrative Assistant Seminar
Course Number: OS 280G
Transcript Title: CE: Administrative Asst Sem
Created: September 1, 2012
Updated: December 19, 2014
Total Credits: 1
Lecture Hours: 10
Lecture / Lab Hours: 0
Lab Hours: 0
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: P-NP (default), audit
Repeats available for credit: 0
Supplements the work experience portion of cooperative education and the student's on-campus program through feedback sessions and instruction in job-related area. Prerequisite/concurrent: OS 280F. Recommend: RD 115, WR 115 and satisfactory progress through at least 15 credit hours of CAS/OS courses, or instructor permission required. Audit available.
- Prepare relevant, current job search materials.
- Think critically to evaluate and modify thinking and/or behavior to be an effective and efficient employee.
- Integrate classroom skills learned and professional experience to enhance your success as an employee.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
A Pass/No Pass grade will be issued for this course.
Course Activities and Design
Evaluation may include the following:
- Student participation
- Student assignments
- Training Agreement
- Learning Objectives
- Personal resume
- Letter of Application
- Job description
- Weekly work reports
- Employer Evaluation
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Themes, Concepts, Issues
- Interpersonal skills
- Job-related goals
- Job search skills
- On-the-job training
- Become aware of the importance of human relations and professionalism.
- Develop and revise Training Agreement and Learning Objective forms.
- Prepare a resume.
- Prepare a letter of application.
- Prepare for an interview.
- Analyze activities in the work environment.
- Compile a list of situations that arise on the job.
- Perform self assessment.
- May also include:
- Understanding of informational interview process
- Understanding of lawful and unlawful employment inquiries
- Understanding of salary negotiation process
- Understanding of the challenges and advantages of hiring older workers
- Understanding of sexual harassment
- Understanding of stress management