Nursing VI: Preceptorship
Course Number: NUR 212
Transcript Title: Nursing VI: Preceptorship
Created: June 4, 2012
Updated: April 3, 2015
Total Credits: 8
Lecture Hours: 30
Lecture / Lab Hours: 150
Lab Hours: 0
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: A-F (default)
Repeats available for credit: 0
Approved delivery mode: Face-to-Face
Integrates theory and registered nurse practice through preceptorship and capstone projects. Includes preceptorship placement in either the acute care, specialty care, or community-based care setting. Emphasizes leadership and management concepts. Prerequisite: NUR 211.
Clinical: TB test results and current immunizations submitted before student is permitted in the clinical area. Current CPR certification is required.
- As Provider of Care: Analyze assessment data and apply established standards of nursing care when developing nursing care plans for rural hospital or community-based healthcare settings.
- As Communicator:
- Apply therapeutic communication techniques with clients and families to attain patient outcomes.
- Collaborate with other healthcare providers in a healthcare setting.
- As Manager of Care: Manage the healthcare needs for a group of clients/patients and families at an acuity level appropriate to the site.
- As Member Within Discipline of Nursing: Demonstrate professional values and responsibilities as defined by the scope of practice for the Registered Nurse and ANA standards.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
To be able to successfully complete and pass NUR 212, the student must:
- Theory: Receive a minimum of 75% on the TOTAL points on the exams, article review, and case study. Class cannot be audited nor taken pass/no pass.
- Skills/Simulation Lab: Pass/No Pass- To receive a Pass, the student must satisfactorily complete all specified skills in the campus Skills Lab, and receive a 96% or better on the math test using ProCalc.
- Clinical: Pass/No Pass- to receive a Pass, the student must receive satisfactory ratings on EVERY performance-based outcome on the NUR 212 Preceptorship Clinical Performance-Based Outcome Tool.
Course Activities and Design
- Theory: The theory content of this course will be presented by means of lecture/discussion groups, course readings, and hand-outs.
- Skills Lab: The campus lab experience will include video, computer-assisted instruction, demonstration and "hands-on" experience for the practice and development of skills used in nursing.
- The simulation practicum takes place on campus in the Nursing Simulation Center. Attendance at simulation experiences is mandatory. Any missed time is expected to be made up.
- Clinical: The clinical practicum takes place in hospital health-care and community-based sites in the Mid-Columbia region. Opportunities to practice skills learned in the campus lab experiences are provided in these settings. The student is expected to be present and on time for all clinical experiences.
- Conferences: Initial and final conferences are scheduled with your Faculty Liaison. Additional conferences will be scheduled as necessary.
- Independent Learning: Students will be required to complete learning activities outside of regularly scheduled class times. For example: Altman Skills series on CD-ROM and internet. Refer to the calendar for these assignments.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Nursing Process
- Rural Health
- Critical thinking
- ANA standards
- Healthcare organizations
- Patient care management
- Healthcare finance
- Quality nursing care
- Collective bargaining
- Conflict resolution
- Perform a completed set of nursing skills.
- Develop individualized nursing care plans.
- Provide holistic care based on the nursing process in a variety of hospital and community-based settings.
- Use critical thinking skills in making clinical decisions.
- Perform as a team leader establishing priorities and delegating components of care appropriately to licensed and unlicensed personnel.
- Communicate with physicians and nursing staff to promote quality patient care.
- Practice nursing in accordance with ANA standards.