Second Year Japanese - First Term
Course Number: JPN 201
Transcript Title: Second Year Japanese
Created: September 1, 2012
Updated: December 19, 2014
Total Credits: 5
Lecture Hours: 50
Lecture / Lab Hours: 0
Lab Hours: 0
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: Yes
Grading options: A-F (default), P-NP, audit
JPN 103 or instructor permission
Reviews and continues study of Japanese language and culture, emphasizing effective communicative skills in written and spoken language. Examines new practices, products and perspectives of Japanese culture. The first course of a three-course sequence of second-year Japanese. Prerequisite: JPN 103 or instructor permission. Audit available.
Upon successful completion students should be able to:
- Apply broader cultural understandings and recognize Japanese cultural values to interact with native speakers of Japanese.
- Employ an understanding of the Japanese syntactic system to read and compose colloquial Japanese texts in Japanese Kana syllabaries and increased Kanji characters.
- Use intermediate-level Japanese grammatical structures and vocabulary to acquire information in semi-predictable settings.
- Use effective communicative skills to interact with native Japanese speakers by managing mid-level formal speech.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Students will be assessed by any combination of the following:
- Active participation in class.
- Individual presentations.
- Contextual written tasks (in or outside of class) to assess reading, writing, cultural, and aural competencies, as well as quizzes over syllabaries and Kanji.
- Oral interviews with partner or instructor.
- In class, interactive student role-plays.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Includes all or most of the following:
- Verbs in non-past, mid-level formal speech
- Verbs in past, mid-level formal speech
- Verbs in non-past, informal speech, affirmative and negative
- Polite and humble polite form of nouns
- Self-Introductions in a culturally appropriate manner
- Hobbies and pastimes
- Multiple particles in negative statements
- Interrogatives with Ka, Mo and Demo
- Potential forms of verbs
- Nominalizers: Koto and No
- Describes progressive
- Verbs in gerund
- Personal pronouns and demonstrative pronouns
- Daily and weekend activities
- Telephone conversations
- Invitations in a culturally appropriate manner
- Conjunctions and disjunctive conjunctions
- Positional words form of verbs
- Predicate using the Copula, I-adjectives and Na-adjectives, in past
- Foods, beverages, flavors, and cooking terms
- Basic compound verbs using Miru, Shimau, Iku, Kuru
- Past tense of Verbs with Moo and Mada
Competencies and Skills
- Describes abilities
- Describes a change in state
- Describes state of being
- Recognizes basic linguistic and cultural differences between non-Indo-European and Indo-European worlds
- Describes weather, climate and makes comparisons
- Makes and responds to compliments in a culturally appropriate manner
- Recognizes the concept of in and out group and introduces family members
- Discusses about hobbies and pastimes using family members
- Writes lists and discrete sentences using syllabaries and 80 Kanji
- Reads for general meanings in texts using combination of syllabaries and Kanji
- Asks questions about the language in Japanese
- Recognizes tones and pitches
- Writes sentences expressing cause and effects
- Describes objects, people, action and events using relative clause
- Expresses experience
- Expresses an opinion
- Expresses a desire and someone’s desire
- Quotes speech
- Expresses intention
- Expresses simultaneous action
- States decision