First Year Japanese - Third Term
Course Number: JPN 103
Transcript Title: First Year Japanese
Created: September 1, 2012
Updated: December 19, 2014
Total Credits: 5
Lecture Hours: 50
Lecture / Lab Hours: 0
Lab Hours: 0
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: Yes
Grading options: A-F (default), P-NP, audit
JPN 102 or instructor permission
Continues the introduction of Japanese language and culture, emphasizing effective communicative skills in written and spoken language. Expands the practice, product and perspective of Japanese culture. The third course of a three-course sequence. Prerequisite: JPN 102 or instructor permission. Audit available.
Upon successful completion students should be able to:
- Apply a clear understanding of the nature of tonal Japanese language in tone and pitch.
- Communicate using appropriate vocabulary and mid-level formal speech when interacting with native Japanese speakers.
- Apply common cultural understandings and recognize cultural values when interacting with native speakers of Japanese and new authentic texts.
- Use an understanding of slightly complex Japanese syntactic system to read and compose simple Japanese texts in Japanese Kana syllabaries and additional Kanji characters.
Alignment with Institutional Core Learning Outcomes
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Students will be assessed by any combination of the following:
- Active participation in class.
- Individual presentations.
- Contextual written tasks (in or outside of class) to assess reading, writing, cultural, and aural competencies, as well as quizzes over syllabaries and kanji.
- Oral interviews with partner or instructor.
- In class, interactive student role-plays.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Include all or most of the following:
- Adjectives in past, affirmative and negative
- Predicate using the Copula, i-adjectives and na-adjectives, in past
- Verbs in non-past, informal speech, affirmative and negative
- Verbs in past, informal speech, affirmative and negative
- Describes weather, climate, physical descriptions and makes comparisons
- Location and prefectures in major islands of Japan
- Family, polite and humble polite form of nouns
- Hobbies and pastimes
- Conjunctions and disjunctive conjunctions
- Potential form of verbs
- Letter writing
Competencies and Skills
- Makes invitations and telephone conversations in a culturally appropriate manner.
- Recognizes basic linguistic and cultural differences between non-Indo-European and Indo-European worlds.
- Describes weather, climate and makes comparisons.
- Asks questions about the language in Japanese.
- Makes and responds to compliments in a culturally appropriate manner.
- Recognizes the concept of in and out group and introduces family members.
- Discusses about hobbies and pastimes using family member names in a culturally appropriate manner.
- Writes a letter in a culturally appropriate manner.
- Reads for general meanings in texts using combination of syllabaries and Kanji.
- Recognizes tones and pitches that is specific to Japanese.
- Writes sentences expressing causal actions and events using syllabaries and 50-80 Kanji.