First Year Japanese - First Term
Course Number: JPN 101
Transcript Title: First Year Japanese
Created: September 1, 2012
Updated: December 19, 2014
Total Credits: 5
Lecture Hours: 50
Lecture / Lab Hours: 0
Lab Hours: 0
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: Yes
Grading options: A-F (default), P-NP, audit
Introduces Japanese language and culture. Emphasizes effective communicative skills in written and spoken language. Examines the practice, product and perspective of Japanese culture. The first course of a three-course sequence. Audit available.
Upon successful completion students should be able to:
- Apply basic understanding of the nature of tonal Japanese language in tone and pitch.
- Exchange basic greetings and communicate in predictable settings with appropriate vocabulary.
- Apply basic cultural understandings and recognize cultural values when interacting with native speakers of Japanese and authentic texts.
- Use an understanding of basic Japanese syntactic system to read and compose simple colloquial Japanese texts in Japanese Kana syllabaries.
Alignment with Institutional Core Learning Outcomes
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Students will be assessed by any combination of the following:
- Active participation in class.
- Individual presentations.
- Contextual written tasks (in or outside of class) to assess reading, writing, cultural, and aural competencies, including reading and and writing of syllabaries.
- Oral interviews with partner or instructor.
- In class, interactive student role-plays.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Include all or most of the following:
- Greetings, introductions and leave-takings
- Age, birth month, and nationality
- Location, provinces and towns within Tokyo district
- Japanese last names
- Time, weather, telephone numbers and price
- Academic subjects and majors
- Verbs in non-past, mid-level formal speech or Masu-form
- Verbs in past, mid-level formal speech, Masu-form
- Numbers, native Japanese and Sino-Japanese system
- Single particles
- Predicate using the Copula
- Verbs in gerund
- Personal pronouns and demonstrative pronouns
Competencies and Skills
- Manages introductions, leave taking, and basic formulaic exchanges including comments on weather in a culturally appropriate manner.
- Exchanges basic personal information.
- Expresses time, telephone numbers, price, and days of the week.
- Makes statements about daily activities, and likes and dislikes.
- Expresses future activities.
- Expresses past activities.
- Recognizes basic linguistic and cultural differences between non-Indo-European and Indo-European worlds.
- Formulates simple questions and answers.
- Identifies and names people and objects.
- Writes lists and discrete sentences using syllabaries and a few Kanji.
- Reads for general meanings in texts using some cognates.