Health Care Delivery Systems
Course Number: HIM 182
Transcript Title: Health Care Delivery Systems
Created: September 1, 2012
Updated: August 4, 2015
Total Credits: 3
Lecture Hours: 30
Lecture / Lab Hours: 0
Lab Hours: 0
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: A-F (default), P-NP, audit
Repeats available for credit: 0
Approved delivery mode:
Explores the past, present and future influences on the delivery of health care, including provider organizations and settings, financing of health care, causes and characteristics of health care utilization in the United States, regulation and monitoring of health care systems and ethical issues associated with health care policy and technology. Audit available.
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Understand the complicated history of health care and how it evolved into the healthcare system of today.
- Recognize the key influences on health care policy.
- Interpret laws, accreditation, licensure and certifications standards pertaining to health information service.
- Understand health care financing with emphasis on cost, access and limitations.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Fulfillment of these outcomes will be assessed by:
- Answering theoretical and application questions on the information covered in lecture, graded assignments and reading assignments
- Demonstrated ability to research information on current trends in health care delivery and present it in written and oral form.
Course Activities and Design
Health Care Delivery Systems is based onthe traditional lecture/discussion formula with the content based on the course outcomes. The list in Course Content below outlines the concepts, themes and issues the student will need to understand and be able to use appropriately. They will have the opportunity to demonstrate their understanding in written and oral form, individually and in groups.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- History of Health Care Delivery Systems: The goal is to familiarize the student with the historical developments which influenced the delivery of health care and the health industry.
- Organization of health care facilities: The goal is to understand the organizational structure of health care facilities.
- Financing of Health care: The goal is to have students obtain a workable knowledge of health care financing in the United States.
- Government and State roles in the health care delivery system: The goal is to introduce the student to the federal and state governmental influence on the delivery of health care.
- Accreditation, certification and licensure in the health care delivery system: The goal is to have students obtain an overview of the accrediting, certifying and licensing in the health care delivery system.
- Organization influencing the health care delivery system: The goal is to familiarize students with the professional organizations that influence the delivery of health care.
- Current trends in health care delivery systems: The goal is to introduce the student to current trends and problems in the delivery of health care.