Course Number: GT 112
Transcript Title: Control Systems
Created: September 1, 2012
Updated: December 19, 2014
Total Credits: 3
Lecture Hours: 20
Lecture / Lab Hours: 0
Lab Hours: 30
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: A-F (default)
Repeats available for credit: 0
Approved delivery mode:
Students will learn fundamentals of programmable logic control (PLC) operation, and troubleshooting. Variable speed drive operation and programming is covered as are process control principles for temperature and flow. Emphasis is on understanding of control operations for efficiency. This course will utilize on-line training and a hands-on seminar to offer hands-on learning opportunities. Prerequisites: GT 101.
- Connect basic Programmable Logical Controller components.
- Apply a basic understanding of Programmable Logical Controller programming in order to analyze PLCs for proper operation.
- Program basic, selected Variable Speed Drives for efficient motor control.
- Determine energy efficiency in electronic control systems.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Intelitek on-line activities including end of section tests and final evaluation.
- Instructor generated evaluations including tests and projects.
- Hands on lab activities.
- Hands on evaluation.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Ladder logic.
- Programmable Logic Control principles.
- Variable Speed Drive technologies.
- Heating system and RHAVC controls.
- Industrial control systems.
- Control system documentation.
- Schematic analysis.
- Efficiency gains with control technology.
- Flow control principles.
- Energy efficiency opportunities though automation.