Multicultural Practice: Curriculum & Implementation
Course Number: ECE 224
Transcript Title: Multicult. Pract: Curriculum
Created: September 1, 2012
Updated: January 15, 2015
Total Credits: 3
Lecture Hours: 30
Lecture / Lab Hours: 0
Lab Hours: 0
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: A-F (default), P-NP, audit
Develops awareness of cultural and ethnic issues as they relate to the early childhood classroom teacher. Focuses on ethnocentrism, racism and discrimination. Includes techniques for developing multi-cultural, anti-bias curriculum. Prerequisite: ECE 124. Audit available.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Identifycultural and ethnic issues related to early childhood education.
- Recognize ethnocentrism, racism and/or discrimination in early childhood education environment.
- Develop multi-cultural, anti-bias curriculum for use in the early childhood education setting.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Assessments may include: written observations, journal reflections, service learning experience, group discussions, in-class presentations and written assignments
Course Activities and Design
Activities may include: reading textbook and online, discussion, reflective writing, interview, observation, assignments
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Define applicable terms in including ethnocentrism, racism, prejudice, discrimination, etc.
- Identify and describe socio-cultural influences on the family and child development.
- Identify and describe your own cultural roots, personal values, and attitudes.
- Identify and describe issues impacting minorities in our society.
- Analyze materials and activities for multi-culturalism and bias.
- Plan anti-bias, multicultural, developmentally appropriate activities for young children.
- Identify community resources for children, families, and early childhood professionals.
- Identify various styles and opportunities of advocacy for children and families.
NAEYC standards that relate are Standard #2. Building Family and Community Relationships
Core Knowledge categories – Diversity (D)