Course Number: ECE 133
Transcript Title: Practicum 1
Created: September 1, 2012
Updated: May 20, 2014
Total Credits: 3
Lecture Hours: 0
Lecture / Lab Hours: 0
Lab Hours: 90
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: A-F (default), P-NP, audit
Covers developing beginning level skills for working with children ages birth - 5 in a group setting. Includes the use of developmentally appropriate methods in recognizing and providing safe, responsive, and sanitary environments; using beginning-level guidance strategies; and acclimating to the field of early education. Prerequisites: ECE 120, ECE 121, WR 90 (or equivalent placement score). Corequisites: ECE 130A. Audit available.
Upon successful completion of course, students should be able to:
- Use an understanding of children’s characteristics and needs, from birth through age 5, in order to provide appropriate care and education.
- Respond to children using an understanding of diverse family and community characteristics.
- Use appropriate observation, documentation, and other assessment tools and approaches to support the development of children.
- Engage in continuous, collaborative learning to inform practice.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Present in class their Competency Portfolio which documents their completion of the competencies for Practicum I.
- Complete mid-term and final self-evaluations of progress on the practicum competencies.
- Participate in Mid-term and Final conferences with the mentoring team (Supervising Faculty and Lead Classroom Teacher) to review the Portfolio and progress on the competencies.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Students will acquire skills and abilities through practice in the lab setting relating to:
- Personal and Professional Practice
- Parent, Family, and Community Involvement
- Relationships with Children
- Observation and Guidance
- Environment and Curriculum
- Management and Supervision
Participating students are expected to attend lab and seminar as scheduled and on time, actively participate in all aspects of the preschool lab program, complete all required assignments for practicum, and progress towards the achievement of competencies in all areas (a minimum of 75% completion required in each competency category).