Course Number: ECE 133
Transcript Title: Practicum 1
Created: September 1, 2012
Updated: April 1, 2015
Total Credits: 3
Lecture Hours: 0
Lecture / Lab Hours: 0
Lab Hours: 90
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: A-F (default), P-NP
Repeats available for credit: 0
Approved delivery mode: Face-to-Face, Hybrid, Online
Develops beginning level skills for working with children ages birth - 5 in a group setting. Includes the use of developmentally appropriate methods in recognizing and providing safe, responsive, and sanitary environments, using beginning-level guidance strategies, and acclimating to the field of early education. Introduces the required Practicum (student teaching) component of the program. Develops skills in working with children in a group setting using developmentally appropriate methods. Prerequisites: WR 90 or equivalent placement test score,ECE 120, ECE 121. Corequisites: ECE 130A.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Use an understanding of children’s characteristics and needs, from birth through age 5, in order to provide appropriate care and education.
- Respond to children using an understanding of diverse family and community characteristics.
- Use appropriate observation, documentation, and other assessment tools and approaches to support the development of children.
- Engage in continuous, collaborative learning to inform practice.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Assessments will include: a competence portfolio, reflective journals, conferences to review competency portfolio, participate in Practicum (student teaching) activities and evaluations at a CGCC approved Practicum site.
Course Activities and Design
Activities may include:group activities and presentations, evaluations from CGCC instructor and practicum site supervisor
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Students will acquire skills and abilities through practice and evaluations while in the practicum site setting relating to:
- Personal and Professional Practice
- Parent, Family, and Community Involvement
- Relationships with Children
- Observation and Guidance
- Environment and Curriculum
- Management and Supervision
NAEYC standards that relate to ECE 133 are Standard 7) Early Childhood Field Experiences
Core Knowledge categories – Personal, Professional & Leadership Development (PPLD)