Beginning Web Site Creation: Dreamweaver
Course Number: CAS 111D
Transcript Title: Begin Website: Dreamweaver
Created: September 1, 2012
Updated: July 10, 2015
Total Credits: 3
Lecture Hours: 10
Lecture / Lab Hours: 40
Lab Hours: 0
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: A-F (default), P-NP, audit
Repeats available for credit: 0
Approved delivery mode:
CAS 133 or equivalent file management and word processing experience
Introduces basic elements of website creation using Adobe Dreamweaver. Includes web terminology, basic HTML, uploading pages to a server (FTP), site management, tables, layout, stylesheets (CSS), rollovers, optimizing graphics, and accessibility. Recommended: CAS 133 or equivalent file management and word processing experience; Prerequisite: placement into RD 115 and WR 115. Audit available.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Use Adobe Dreamweaver to create personal and/or business websites following current professional and/or industry standards.
- Use critical thinking skills to design and create a basic, multi-page website.
- Use Adobe Dreamweaver and a stand-alone FTP program to upload files to a web server.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Assessments may include: interviews, written observations, journal reflections, self-assessment, group projects, open ended assignments and quizzes.
Course Activities and Design
Activities may include: group discussions, reflections, quizzes, key terms and assignments, portfolio work collection, final exam, and individual/group report assignment, and open ended assignments.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- XHTML Coding
- Coding Standards
- ALT tags
- Color schemes for color blindness
- Formatting tags (strong and emphasis)
- Cascading Stylesheets (CSS)
- Text Formatting
- Background Images
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Gain familiarity with the complex multi-level Adobe menu driven control system