Compass is a non-timed, computerized assessment that helps us evaluate your current skills and place you into appropriate courses. Compass evaluates your current skills in reading, writing and math.
Compass is not a "test." You cannot fail Compass, and there is no "passing score." Rather, Compass scores indicate areas in which you are strong and areas in which you may need help. CGCC offers classes at all levels, so no matter where the assessment recommends you begin, CGCC has a class appropriate for you.
Schedule a Placement Assessment
Email Student Services' Testing department at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a placement assessment. Please specify what campus and what day and time you would like to take the test. We recommend you schedule at least 1 week in advance. Seating is limited, so RESERVATIONS ARE REQUIRED. There is no charge for this assessment.
If you have questions, or if you require accommodations due to a disability, call Student Services, (541) 506-6011 in The Dalles or (541) 308-8211 in Hood River.
|The Dalles Campus
|Mon, Wed, Thurs
|9 am and 2 pm
2 pm only
|Hood River-Indian Creek Campus
|9 am and 2 pm
Prepare for the Assessment
- Review Sample Test Questions
- Refresh Your Knowledge
- Access Online Tutorials
- Attend Math, Reading and Problem-Solving Workshops
Day of the Assessment
- Arrive 15 minutes early and check in at the Student Services counter. The Dalles Campus: Building 3, Student Services, Hood River-Indian Creek Campus.
- Bring photo identification.
- Plan to stay for 2 to 3 hours. Assessments are not timed, so take your time.
- Calculators, pencils and scratch paper are provided.
- Children, food or drinks, cell phones, pagers, language dictionaries, etc. are not allowed in the testing room.
After the Assessment
- Review the placement test scores.
- Schedule an appointment with an advisor for class placement.
Other Test Services
Test proctoring services are provided to students and community members. All tests are administered by appointment only and a fee is applied for service. Contact Student Services for hours of availability and general test procedures.
CGCC is an authorized GED testing center. GED testing is computer-based and available on both The Dalles and Hood River campuses. To schedule a GED testing appointment, please contact Pearson Vue Testing Services at 1-800-704-3613 or http://home.pearsonvue.com/Home.aspx.