90.A - Public Relations
Board Policy Code: 90.A
Revised/Readopted: Combined into one policy 06/11/14
The Columbia Gorge Community College Board of Education feels that a sound and constructive relationship between the college and community is essential to meet the community's needs. The president will be responsible for providing guidance to staff members to improve their community interaction skills, developing strategies for listening to public and staff concerns and actively involving citizens in the decision-making process of the college. College staff members, community leaders, citizens, and others will be provided an opportunity to discuss college issues and assist in continuing Columbia Gorge Community College Board of Education’s philosophical belief that "Excellence is a Community Affair."
The Board of Education's goals for achieving positive college/community relations are to:
- Develop public understanding of all aspects of college operations, ascertain public attitudes toward issues in education and identify the public’s educational expectations for their students;
- Secure adequate financial support for the educational program;
- Help citizens feel responsibility for the quality of education provided by the college;
- Earn the public's confidence with regard to college staff and services;
- Foster public understanding of the need for constructive change and solicit public advice on achieving educational goals;
- Involve citizens in solving educational problems;
- Promote cooperation between the college and the community and share the leadership for improving community life.
Achieving these objectives requires that the Board and staff, individually and collectively, express positive attitudes toward the college in their daily contacts with students, community members and one another; make systematic, honest and continuing efforts to discover what the public thinks and what citizens want to know; interpret college programs, problems and accomplishments; develop an active partnership with the community in working toward improvement of the educational program; and take an active interest in the needs of the community to find ways to make the community a better place to live.
Information about college activities and issues will be provided to the community in a way which will create and maintain a dignified and professionally responsible image for the college.
The procedures listed below will be followed in giving official information to the news media:
- The president will be the official spokesperson for the college.
- News releases that are of college-wide interest or that pertain to established college policy will be the responsibility of the president.
- The president, or his/her designee, will establish procedures for the dissemination of news releases pertaining to the college.